Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Eclectic Reading


My reading habits are just as eclectic as all of my other hobbies and curiousities. Here is a prime example of three books I read last week that I returned to the library on Monday: Agnes & the Hitman by Jennifer Crusie and Bob Mayer, Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman, and Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman.

Agnes & The Hitman was hilariously different in the way that all Jennifer Crusie books are. She is one author who always makes me laugh with her quirky characters. I am so happy I liked this book, because the first one she wrote with Bob Mayer is the only book of her that I did not like.

I have, for years, had Practical Magic on my must read list. I LOVED the movie with Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman (although typically I prefer orginal books over their movies). The book was wonderful. It's been a while since I have read a book with such little dialogue. But Alice Hoffman's writing was so dreamy and beautiful and evocative that I couldn't put the book down. In fact I wouldn't read the last 20 pages or so until the end of the week because I did not want it to end.

Here Be Dragons is an historical fiction book about Wales and England during the 1200s. Having been a History major in college I am always slightly skeptical about historical fiction. But I have to say that I really enjoyed this book and found it to be infused with fabulous research and authenticity on a time and place that I've always wanted to know more about.

Anyway, just thought I'd share some great summer reading. And this might explain why I am not getting any sewing done lately! Hee hee, we must choose our vices.

No comments:

Post a Comment