Wednesday, September 30, 2009

More Lunch Love!

Bento box Lunch 9/28/09
Pork empanadas with sour cream and salsa (leftovers from the night before), homegrown tomatoes, cheddar cheese squares, whole wheat crackers, fruit salsa.

Bento Box Lunch 9/24/09
Apple and peanut butter waffle-wich, fruit salsa, cheddar cheese squares and whole wheat crackers, homegrown tomatoes and chocolate mini rice cakes.

Bento Box Lunch 9/23/09
Ham, turkey and cheese sandwich, sticks and stones trail mix, homegrown tomatoes, sweet pickle and grape, strawberry and pineapple fruit salad.

Bento Box Lunch 9/22/09
Homemade mini blueberry muffins, hard boiled egg, mini carrots,cheddar cheese and mozzarella and turkey and whole wheat cracker "lunchables", pinepapple and strawberries.

Bento Box Lunch 9/21/09
Ham "lunchables" with cheddar cheese and whole wheat crackers, chocolate mini rice cakes, cucumbers and homegrown baby carrots, ranch dressing dip, kiwis and pineapple.

Some things I've learned so far on this lunh box filling odyssey:

I use as many left overs as I can. Not every lunch is very creative looking, as true bento spirit is - but I try with what I have and what time I can squeeze out in the morning. But I am surprised what I am adding from our refrigerator and pantry that ends up looking pretty cool in the box anyway.

I have noticed that the kids love having their fork and spoon and that that helps with being able to have more than finger food in their lunch. They love anything mini or cut up or in fun shapes. They like the different textures and colors.

Frequently I have to add an additional container in their backpack for afternoon snack which is usually some kind of cereal trail mix and a banana or apple. I know, I can't believe our little worms eat this much food. I wonder though, if this has helped to contribute to their energy in the late afternoons. We haven't heard any complaints about being tired yet.....yet..I am sure they will have some when the newness of first grade goes away!

It probably seems strange that I am writing about my kids' lunch. But I want to share to give others ideas. That is where I have gotten my inspiration - from others so wonderfully sharing their ideas and recipes. It's more time consuming than I thought and yet I am still into it and the kids have loved it and really become a part of the process. We'll see what Fall and Winter bring us.

No comments:

Post a Comment