Saturday, October 10, 2009

Crocheted Sea Stones

Crocheted Stone in the grass

My first art crochet endeavor. Isn't it beautiful? I am so happy with it. This was my first try with crochet thread (Aunt Lydia's #10 in Mexicana). And it was a bit of a challenge at first. I couldn't get the tension quite right in my hand. But I stuck with it and it got easier.

Back of my crocheted stone

Even the back turned out pretty good if I do say so myself. I followed the pattern for the radii stone in an article by Margaret Oomen in the Fall issue of Crochet Today. I first became aware of Margaret Oomen as a fiber artist by coming upon some of her cool stone merfishes. And then I saw her stones and her acorn necklaces. "Ooh la la" as Peelu would say. I was HOOKED! Her blog is so beautiful and I am so inspired by her photography and nature art. She takes these amazing photos of such simple things and they become just magical. The merfish and acorns are on my crochet list and I am starting to fiddle around with some nature photography ala Margaret. I hope her magic can flow through me too.

On a side note, these stones were picked up by my maniacs when we visited the Oregon Coast in May. I knew they had been waiting for something special.

Coastal covered stones

One more photo? Oh, okay.

My first covered/crocheted stone

2 comments:

  1. Love this.
    The colors make it especially awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to try this - love your colours!!!

    ReplyDelete