Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Bellas

The two Bella hats together

Okay, disclaimer here: I am not a huge Twilight fan. The books were pretty good, the movie (sorry) was okay. But when your favorite part of the movie is the hat that Bella wore to the beach....well then you know where your interests in the series lie...

The other Bella hat

I ran across this pattern on Ravelry and was immediately drawn to it. April did a fantastic job transferring what she saw on the screen into a fabulous, easy to follow crochet pattern.

The was my first time working in front post and back post dc. It was FUN! I LOVE, love, love the texture and dimension that those stitches give to a pattern. I am very enamored of them now. However, when I did my first Bella, I think I got one stitch off and you can see that I did not have the ridges on the very crown of the hat in the right places. They are not in the defined line like the rest of the hat.

The first Bella hat

Details of Bella Hat #1

Also, this first hat is actually too big for me. April has two instructions, one for her head size and one for a bigger head size. I used the smaller version, (for her head size), and it fits fine but I like my hats snug. I noticed in the movie that Bella has her hair put up under her hat. So when I do that it does fit better (cause I got a lotta hair), but I don't usually wear hats like this with my hair up. Usually I am walking the kids to and from school on cold and windy days so I need all the warmth I can get.

My first Bella hat photoshoot - HA!

Okay, yarn details: I used Patons Classic Wool in Heathered Cognac. It has a cool very subtle variegation in the strands. So far, I have always been happy with Patons wool. They seem to be my go-to wool yarn for economy (when I buy it on sale at Michael's or Joann's).

What a beautiful day in the woods

Well, I really enjoyed crocheting that first hat so much that I immediately had to make another to fit me better. I downsized a hook from what the pattern said (April used an H hook and on this hat I used a G instead). I also added two more rows of the non-increasing rows at the bottom (before the last two rows of back post dc and slip stitch).

Bella hat all done

You can also see that I followed the correct stitches on the very crown of the hat this time - the ridges are there!

The Bella Hat pattern

Details on Bella hat

I am so happy with this hat!!! I LOVE it and have been wearing it everywhere. I can see many more of these hats in my future, especially for nieces and all my young friends who adore anything and everything about the Twilight series.

New hat in the woods

OH yeah, yarn details for this one: Universal Yarns wool in Glacier Gray bought at my favorite local yarn shop.

Okay, I just previewed this post and realized there are an awful lot of photos of ME. Eeek! Oh well. Just goes to show you how much I love the hat, I guess. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment