Saturday, February 6, 2010

TUTORIAL: Yarn Painting

Our yarn painting samples

Here's the other activity that we taught at the 4-H Idea Fair last weekend: Yarn Painting.

Here's the supplies you will need:

Yarn (different colors & textures, pre-cut in various sizes)
Scissors
Pencils
White Craft Glue
Cardstock (various colors - regular paper gets too wet and sags and tears)
Wipes

Setting up for the yarn painting craft

STEP ONE
Have the kids select their cardstock and gather a pile of yarn in colors and textures that they like.

The yarn all cut
More bright yarn piles

STEP TWO
We had some pencils on hand and a few kids wanted to draw an image first, but most of them were comfortable with just creating their design with the glue first.

Yarn Painting: Step one

"Draw" a small portion of your picture with the glue and then start "tracing" the glue with the yarn. It is important to do a steady, thick stream of glue - not gloppy but not thin and dashed either. Stick the starting point of your yarn down firmly and gently use one hand to lay the yarn on the glue and the other hand to gently pat the yarn down as you go.

Yarn Painting: Step one again

Try not to get your fingers too goopy as the yarn will obviously stick to your hands. That is where the wipes come in handy. Keep adding to your picture, a bit at a time so that you don't have your yarn trailing through your glue design. And cut off the yarn if it is too long for that particular design.

Some yarn paintings being created #16
Some yarn paintings being created #2
Some yarn paintings being created #3
Some yarn paintings being created #6
Some yarn paintings being created #7
Some yarn paintings being created #9

STEP THREE
LET IT DRY! Yep, it's that easy. The glue will dry clear and some of the yarn takes on the texture of twine. Wanna see some more cool pictures of what the kids did?

Fabulous abstracts:
Some yarn paintings being created #5
Some yarn paintings being created #4

Intricate Designs:
Some yarn paintings being created #13
Some yarn paintings being created #14
Finished yarn painting - so pretty

Cute Creatures:
Some yarn paintings being created #11
(This chicken is Lil' Mermaid's)
Finished Yarn Painting: Fish in the Sea

Detailed Dedication:
Some yarn paintings being created #8
Finished yarn painting - old truck
Some yarn paintings being created #12
Finished Yarn Painting: Hot Rod's Tank
(The tank is Hot Rod's.)

Up-Close Details:
up close of my sun
up close of Michelle's flower
up close of Michelle's sun and poofy flower
up close of my fishy

Okay, so I'm tooting my own horn a bit - the last four photos are from the samples that my dear girlfriend, Michelle, and I made the night before the class. :-) I must thank her because she came over to visit and I roped her into cutting miles of yarn and string and then told her we needed to make samples. She was totally game and created the beautiful yarn painting at the top, of the flowers growing in the sun. I have cool friends. And luckily they're usually up for anything!

Oh, and actually the final step is the clean-up - or the aftermath, as I like to call it:
The aftermath

Easy, inexpensive, and very, very fun. We hope you enjoy it!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this!! It looks like you had a fantastic time... made me wish I was there, I know it would have been a lot of fun. I have been reading your blog for awhile now and really enjoy it. Sandy
    P.S. My blog is http://sunflowerzcrochet.blogspot.com/ if you ever want to check it out

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like fun. I am looking for ideas for Yarn pictures for a project for my todler. I enjoyed seenig your pictures. Thank-you for sharing. If you would like to see what we end up coming up with, Im going to share it at my blog at mommiesandbeyond dot com

    ReplyDelete