Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Tiana & Harry

Harry & Tiana

The kids had a "Dress up like your favorite literary character" day at school last Thursday. Of course we waited until the day before to get the costumes together. And me, being me, couldn't let it just rest with something terribly simple. Although, really, this was simple for me. Really!

Not that I consider the little Disney Princess & the Frog book a literary masterpiece (although we loved the movie), but apparently Lil' Mermaid did because she wanted to be Tiana. She wanted to wear one of the beautiful dresses that Grandma W. had recently made her and of course her "fancy church shoes". I told her that she needed to add an apron or something to distinguish Tiana from just any other princess. We argued about it a bit and then she agreed. I just cut out some cheap, pink fleece I had and we tied it around her waist. She had me write "Tiana's Place" on it. Then she asked Ross to make her a crown. I put her hair in a bun and added warm tights to her costume (we're not in steamy New Orleans here!) I found some old dress up gloves and an old frog toy and voila....she became Tiana.

Tiana from Princess & the Frog

Now Hot Rod decided pretty quickly that he wanted to be Harry Potter. I just recently started reading the first book to him. I am so happy that he is interested, as the series is truly one of my all time favorites. And I figured Harry was a pretty easy costume. He made his own glasses out of pipe cleaners, his own broom out of pipe cleaners and a wrapping paper tube and he found a twig in the yard for his wand. Pretty inventive, isn't he?

Harry Potter

I also cut a cape (meant to simulate a wizard robe) out of more cheap-o fleece and added the "lightening bolt scar" to his forehead. But, I must say, my piece de resistance was Hedwig.

Crocheted owl

Yes, I am a freak. I spent an hour and a half in the middle of the afternoon, crocheting my son a darn owl. (And that's not talking about the half hour I spent on-line searching for easy owl patterns the night before!) Got the pattern here. It was very easy and I'd love to make some more.

I know, you're thinking, "can she do nothing the easy way?" Apparently not. But they looked darn cute if I do say so myself. :-)

Dress up like your favorite character Day

3 comments:

  1. The kids look so great! That Hot Rod must have inherited your crafty genes! And I loooove that owl, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so awesome! Lucky lil kiddos! They look so cute! The owl is perfect! Look: http://itsybitsyspidercrochet.blogspot.com/2010/05/great-owl-crochet-along-update.html

    You know down here in FL we have the Harry Potter theme park opening up right next to Disney ;) if your kids read this they'll be begging you to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and I forgot to mention how much I loved my granny square from you and the necklace :) All so wonderful! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete