Friday, July 16, 2010

I LOVE batik

My sunshine and my rainbow

I have been waiting, and waiting to try this batik project after I saw it on That Artist Woman. I adore batik fabric and love doing any type of dyeing or painting on fabric with the maniacs. We recently tore down some old, plain curtains we had up in our living room. I couldn't just throw them out, so we decided they would make good fabric for our first foray into glue resist batik. First, we cut the curtains into small strips and squares for different projects. Then we applied the glue, using Elmer's washable blue gel glue. The big kids lightly penciled in a design, but Peelu, just went for it, randomly dropping her glue on her fabric.

Peelu putting the glue on for her batik

The next day, we watered down some acrylic paints and went to work:

Peelu working on her batik fabricA little here, a little there
Peelu painting awayStarting her fish
Hot Rod working on his batik fabricMy batik sun in progress

Hot Rod went for two dragons, I opted for my two favorite art images - a rainbow and a sun and Lil' Mermaid (who was making hers for her Papa for Father's Day) opted for the traditional Japanese koinoburi design that Gail used on her blog. I think Lil' Mermaid was not only impressed with Gail's windsock designs but we also found one they made at Childhood Magic and Lil' Mermaid fell in love with those bright colors for her design.
Starting her fishLil' Mermaid's batik japanese fish
Lil' Mermaid's fish on the lineClose-up of Lil' Mermaid's scales

I LOVE my laundry line and always use it for hanging up my favorite craft projects, especially if they need to dry. We had to dry these fabrics after we finished painting them and then again after we washed out the glue, to reveal the unpainted lines of the design.

All the batik fabrics drying after painting
Hot Rod's dragon batik finished
More gratuitous laundry line shots
Peelu's batik fabric finished

They just turned out gorgeous. We were very,very happy with the results and can't wait to try more. Hot Rod is thinking he might sew his two pieces of fabric together for a pillow and Lil' Mermaid still has to sew her fabric into the windsock shape, so check back for the finished projects on those.

And as a bonus, after I was done painting my rainbow and I took it to hang up outside, I came back and found that the paint had left a beautiful imprint on the newspaper. Of course I had to take a picture. You can't let any rainbows in your life go by without taking a moment to appreciate them.

The rainbow imprint after I finished

Right?

1 comment:

  1. what an awesome idea! i did batik when i was in highschool! it was so much fun! i can't wait for my littlie to grow up so we can do crafts together!!! :)

    ReplyDelete