Monday, January 24, 2011

The Frida Kahlo Party Part 3 - The Zines

The Frida Kahlo party favor bags

I actually had the concept for the Frida zine before the one I had for the Mad Artist zine.

R's Frida Kahlo Party Zine - Cover

I borrowed part of the idea from Erika's wonderful coloring book she made for her daughters party. And then I went a little further into zine territory since I am so loving zines lately. And R love, absolutely loves to make her own zines and little books. In fact, she spent quite a few hours working on parts of the Frida zine. So this project was very fun for both of us.

Drawing Frida

We had so much fun however, that the zine kept growing and growing and I was still "publishing" the morning of the birthday party!

R's Frida Kahlo Party Zine - Pages 1-2
R's Frida Kahlo Party Zine - Pages 13-14
R's Frida Kahlo Party Zine - Back Cover

R made several nice pictures of Frida and I tried some little drawings as well as well.

R's Frida Kahlo Party Zine - Pages 11-12
R's Frida Kahlo Party Zine - Pages 9-10

We also added the fruit salsa recipe that we served at the party so that the girls could make some at home.

R's Frida Kahlo Party Zine - Pages 5-6

R loved this book by Margaret Frith that I had bought her for her party. After reading it, she made her own synopsis of Frida's life for the zine. And my favorite is this poem that she wrote about Frida. I just LOVE it.

R's Frida Kahlo Party Zine - Pages 3-4
R's Frida Kahlo Party Zine - Pages 15-16

We also added some DIY fun & games.

R's Frida Kahlo Party Zine - Pages 7-8
R's Frida Kahlo Party Zine - Pages 17-18

This zine was another labor of love. And I wish I had given myself more time and not had to rush so much. But I love the content and am very happy with it. I thought it was a pretty cool party favor. But then I am a craft geek. So my definition of "cool" is a bit off! :-)

2 comments:

  1. Oh those are fabulous Kellie...and I love the flowers that decorate the bags.
    I wish birthday parties had been that cool when I was young :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I am doing a Frida party for my little one and I was searching and found your post!
    I love the Zine...any chance you want to sell me some?!?!?

    ReplyDelete