Friday, January 11, 2013

Shrinky Dink Personal Motto Necklaces

Shrinky Dink Personal Motto Necklaces

 Mrs. Z loves empowering the kids in her classes with self-esteem and good attitudes. I came across this shrinky dink thankful necklace and thought this would be a great idea for her class. I had some 5x8 shrinky dink plastics. I cut them in half and the kids used that size to design on. I was amazed how many kids had not ever used shrinky dinks. How could this happen???

 Shrinky Dink Personal Motto Necklaces

So I brought in my own sample I made (on cute hand drawn notebook paper like the above inspiration link) and showed them how much they shrunk down. Then I cautioned the kids that they could change the shape, but they had to keep them pretty close to the size of the blank sheet or else they would be too tiny. If they wanted to keep them the same shape, I had them curve their corners so they didn't shrink down and be too sharp.

 Shrinky Dink Personal Motto Necklaces Shrinky Dink Personal Motto Necklaces

I also brought in a bunch of quotes or inspirational sayings to share with the kids and we talked and shared more sayings and ideas. I asked the kids to think really hard on what might be there own personal motto or affirmation. Some chose to go with some of the examples they saw, but many of them wrote their own personal words. Colored pencils were all we used, making sure to draw on the rough side of the plastic. I also used a standard hole punch to punch a hole for the yarn in each one.

 Shrinky Dink Personal Motto Necklaces Shrinky Dink Personal Motto Necklaces Shrinky Dink Personal Motto Necklaces Shrinky Dink Personal Motto Necklaces

 Since the majority of the class had never used shrinky dinks before. I thought I would take some photos of the before, during and after versions.

 Shrinky Dink Personal Motto Necklaces Shrinky Dink Personal Motto Necklaces Shrinky Dink Personal Motto Necklaces

 Before I came back to class to deliver the shrunk necklaces, I sent the photos to Mrs. Z so she could show them. They were all pretty impressed and loved the sturdy, miniaturized versions of their necklaces.

 Shrinky Dink Personal Motto Necklaces

This was such an easy lesson with the kids and one I think every class should do! Get shrinkin' people!

No comments:

Post a Comment