Monday, April 22, 2013

Art Auction Project: Miss L's Charley Harper Birds in a Tree Canvas

Miss L'S Art Auction Project:  Attaching Charley Harper Birds

 This art auction project was a perfect example of what awesomeness can be achieved if I just don't over-think too much. When I showed the examples to Miss L I really was not totally sure how I would do the project. And then when I decided to add in the Charley Harper component I knew how the birds would be created. But how was I going to put it all together and make it look like a piece of art that somebody would buy to actually display.

Art Auction Project: Miss L's Charley Harper Birds

First off we got a large canvas (24x36, I think, or the next larger size). I took it home and used some nice acrylic paints to make a lightly textured sky background.

 Art Auction Project: Miss L's Charley Harper Birds

Then I used charcoal to sketch in some branches.


Art Auction Project: Miss L's Charley Harper Birds

I then collaged newspaper bits onto the branches to give them some cool texture. And finally I loosely painted over the collaged branches with a slightly watered down brown, letting some of the charcoal peek through.

 Art Auction Project: Miss L's Charley Harper Birds Art Auction Project: Miss L's Charley Harper Birds

We went back to school and gathered the students with their collage birds and they started to apply them to the canvas with Mod Podge. Don't you love all the different types of birds you can see...owls, woodpeckers, cardinals, toucans...so fun!

 Miss L'S Art Auction Project:  Attaching Charley Harper Birds Miss L'S Art Auction Project:  Attaching Charley Harper Birds Miss L'S Art Auction Project:  Attaching Charley Harper Birds Miss L'S Art Auction Project:  Attaching Charley Harper Birds

This went pretty quickly and I could have more than one student at a time adding their bird.

Miss L'S Art Auction Project:  Attaching Charley Harper Birds Miss L'S Art Auction Project:  Attaching Charley Harper Birds Miss L'S Art Auction Project:  Attaching Charley Harper Birds

 It was funny to hear their discussion about where their bird should go and why.

 Miss L'S Art Auction Project:  Attaching Charley Harper Birds Miss L'S Art Auction Project:  Attaching Charley Harper Birds Miss L'S Art Auction Project:  Attaching Charley Harper Birds Miss L'S Art Auction Project:  Attaching Charley Harper Birds

After the kids (and Miss L) attached their birds, I went back over the entire canvas with two more layers of Mod Podge and let it dry. And darn if it didn't turn out pretty good! We got many, many compliments on it from other teachers and other students as they passed by.

Miss L'S Art Auction Project:  Attaching Charley Harper Birds

I think Miss L is trying to figure out if she can buy it for herself!

1 comment: