Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Super Hero Samples

Super Hero Self-Portraits

I am so excited!! My first art lesson with M's 2nd grade class is tomorrow. Of course that means I need to drop all the work I have piled up and make some samples.

Super Hero Self-Portraits

But no - not only one sample - but yes,many samples.

 Super Hero Self-Portraits

 Let's be honest here. This is a lot more fun than work.

 Super Hero Self-Portraits

This above is ME in super hero form. I look pretty cool, don't I?


Super Hero Self-Portraits

Here is my third version.

 Super Hero Self-Portraits

This one involves more cutting and more gluing.

 Super Hero Self-Portraits

 But equally fun. Hmmmm....which one should I use for my first lesson. Anyway, here are the details.
 #1 Newspaper Background glued on first on top of 9x12 paper. 9x12 white paper used for body and "pow" and "zap". Markers except for a light brown crayon for skin color. I was simulating what supplies the kids would have in class. Cut & glue. Very cute and Pop Art like.

#2 My standard wax resist and watercolor. 12x18 white construction paper. Experimented with folding the paper to help give them guidelines that are less visible than those dratted pencil lines. I have yet to find an under 5th grader who can really "draw very lightly with your pencil". :-) Used crayons this time instead of oil pastels since I am still gauging this class' art exposure level. I was worried about smudging until I could see their coloring abilities. I also experimented with "drawing a skeleton" for their figure. They will have background choices to draw in with crayons (pencils will have been put away by then!) and then the magical water color over it all. I'm thinking this one might be it.

 #3 Similar to #2 but made in 3 parts. Might be too much to keep together this time around with 2nd graders. Again crayon and watercolor wax-resist. Head done on 9x12 paper cut in half. Body on 9x 12 paper. Background on 12x18 paper. Background was the only piece with watercolor. Cut out the body parts and glued them on the background when dry. Looks a little more like he is coming out of the background. Pretty fun too.

Anyway, stay tuned for the actual lesson. Inspired by these lessons at John Post and Art with Mrs. Seitz.

No comments:

Post a Comment